Skip to main content

Make strangers go to their homes with a smile.



This is me around Zamalek, Cairo. I started this thing because of a personal experience that has inspired me a lot. 

I listen to strangers talk to me about anything they want. I get the most random stories and many other touching ones. I don't promise them to find a solution to every problem I hear, but I try to help as much as I can through showing the strangers so much attention. I care enough so that they feel comfortable to open up to me.
This idea has been done in many places around the world, but never in Egypt. I decided to do it here since we know life is not easy here, and everyone is probably having heavy loads on their shoulders. I don't take all their lifts on my own chest, but I do my best to help them remove theirs.
I have been doing it since 3 days, and I am glad to say that I have successfully watched many strangers walk away with a smile on their faces. That's all what matters.
Point is, even if you won't solve their problems, at least you listen to them. Maybe someone walking there has nobody to listen to them, maybe someone is afraid their friends would judge them, and maybe someone's day would be made to know that you have left you home to help the others.
In all the possible ways, I am sure it will make a slight change. Even if it didn't, at least I have tried. It doesn't require money or anything, just your spare time and your ears to listen. 
We can do it in groups and it will be so nice to cover up as much as regions as we could.  


Have a good day. 
Reem Khorshid.


Comments

  1. included it in a blog wishing to keep morale up in Egypt~ with thanks to your efforts and wishing you luck and the tenacity to persevere~
    http://amit-glimpses.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/community-matters_21.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

11 Types of Students you meet at CUFE.

Disclaimer: This post is for fun purpose, so you guys don't take it seriously. It is all about generalizing and no one is particularly targeted. 1- AIESEC Fanatics: They think they are the coolest people taking part in the most cool extracurricular activity. They MUST, I repeat, they must be wearing those lousy aiesec bracelets. They try too hard to look like a badass group specially when it comes to standing at their booth. 2- The Nerd-Extremist There are plenty of this type. Almost everyone in CUFE (Except me ofc). Students from this type would never let their GPA drop less than 4.0 or 3.9. Getting 3.89999999999999 might lead them to some suicidal acts or self-harm. They never skip a class and never leave a lost mark in a quiz unquestioned. 3-The top student-wanna-be These usually have a low IQ, but they are so pretentious. They stick to the nerds' asses and try too hard to befriend them. They never skip lectures,bytlaza2o fel drs w el TAs without mercy,...

Charlie's poem from Perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

“Once on a yellow piece of paper with green lines he wrote a poem And he called it "Chops" because that was the name of his dog And that's what it was all about And his teacher gave him an A and a gold star And his mother hung it on the kitchen door and read it to his aunts That was the year Father Tracy took all the kids to the zoo And he let them sing on the bus And his little sister was born with tiny toenails and no hair And his mother and father kissed a lot And the girl around the corner sent him a Valentine signed with a row of X's and he had to ask his father what the X's meant And his father always tucked him in bed at night And was always there to do it Once on a piece of white paper with blue lines he wrote a poem And he called it "Autumn" because that was the name of the season And that's what it was all about And his teacher gave him an A and asked him to write more clearly And his mother never hung it on the kitchen door because of it...

Inner Bullshit: After Midnight.

It has been a long while since I let out my inner bullshit on my blog. I haven't been writing anything about my own feelings, or I didn't try to put them in words, pour them out through my shaky fingertips pressing on the keyboard buttons, confused and bewildered. I am not sure of what I want exactly and I am not sure if I going to do anything about it. As for now, I am trying to put the letters next to each other to end up making any sense. I have to let it out. I need to. I need to runaway, and by running away, I don't mean from the place where I am sitting right now. It's not about home, it's not about land and it's not about this fucked up country. Those things are really small compared to all what I have inside my head. It usually feels like a whole new universe but without a sun or a moon. Light and dark comes in the form of emotions and feelings. The worst thing is that there's no time or clocks and it only hits me. It hits and grabs me along as I ...