Skip to main content

The little boy who cleans shoes and laughs.



The boy who cleans shoes and laughs.I came across this picture on Tumblr, and it made me smile. Normally, I reblog, like and flip to another picture, but this time, I didn’t do that. I found myself turning off the music I was listening to, and staring in silence into this little boy’s face. There’s something about it, something happy, yet far from the happy we all know.

In his dilapidated undershirt, that is no longer white, and the old jeans, he sits there smiling like he is eating his favourite chocolate bar or candy. I stared and found no candies or chocolate; just a little boy and a man’s foot. His job is repetitive, boring and not fun for a boy at his age. He is not supposed to be doing this. He is supposed to be drawing, dancing or playing around with his friends. With his box of tools and restless, tiny body, he is cleaning peoples’ shoes for living. He is obliged to face feet everyday and clean the shoes of the customers, not caring that at some point it would be humiliating to spend your life cleaning shoes with the fact that the customers' legs are pointed to his face.


If I were in his place, I would have been asking myself many questions like: Why don’t they just get the brush and clean their shoes for themselves? Is it that tiring or hard task to clean your shoes every once in a while like you wash your face every morning? I don’t think so. 


I stared closer at the picture and found the big cheerful smile on the boy’s face. It has stories. He seems so happy, and not the fake happy. He’s really happy. Waiting for his few pennies after cleaning the man’s shoes in the picture, he is laughing his heart out. Looking at the lens and posing for the picture, he’s laughing harder. Finding happiness and the beauty of life in its simplicity, he couldn’t frown.

I wish I could see him doing his job and I am pretty sure he is talented in what he does. He seems so satisfied and filled even though I he must be having many other wants for a boy at his age. I am wondering a lot about his face and his life details. I tried to look deeper into his face marks to imagine or make up a story for him, but I found nothing but gratefulness and blessings. I tried to look at his hands, and all I found are dirty tiny hands holding the brush, ready to wash off the dust covering the shoe in the picture.

Sigh.

You might find him unclean, but to me, I find this boy so pure and clean. His face looks like he is on cloud nine as if there is nothing to worry about. I don’t know his story, but all I can think of that he’s from a poor family where he leaves all his desires and fun just to get few coins to survive.
I said “Survive”. You sir, and you ma’am..We are all surviving. We are the fittest and we are living, probably better than this young boy and others. You will tell me he’s young and didn’t go through what you are passing through. Yeah, I know commitments are tough but his life is harder and he managed to smile like that.

That’s the difference. You never stop complaining, neither do I. It’s shameful in a way though and we should all feel so embarrassed because we have happiness while he does not. He doesn’t have it, but he knitted it for himself, out of nothing.

You sir, and you ma’am work behind that desk, feel like drowning and cussing every few minutes because you feel tired and pressured by workloads. I don’t think you’d ever have this smile if someone asked to take a picture of you while you are working. That’s the line, the fine line between you and this little boy or other like him.
I don’t know what made this post ended up too long like that, but all I know that we should stop complaining, and become more thankful for everything we own, and every coin we have.

Have a good Friday y'all.
Reem Khorshid 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Types of Students you meet at CUFE.

Disclaimer: This post is for fun purpose, so you guys don't take it seriously. It is all about generalizing and no one is particularly targeted. 1- AIESEC Fanatics: They think they are the coolest people taking part in the most cool extracurricular activity. They MUST, I repeat, they must be wearing those lousy aiesec bracelets. They try too hard to look like a badass group specially when it comes to standing at their booth. 2- The Nerd-Extremist There are plenty of this type. Almost everyone in CUFE (Except me ofc). Students from this type would never let their GPA drop less than 4.0 or 3.9. Getting 3.89999999999999 might lead them to some suicidal acts or self-harm. They never skip a class and never leave a lost mark in a quiz unquestioned. 3-The top student-wanna-be These usually have a low IQ, but they are so pretentious. They stick to the nerds' asses and try too hard to befriend them. They never skip lectures,bytlaza2o fel drs w el TAs without mercy,

احداث كلية هندسة من يوم 28 نوفمبر حتي 10 ديسمبر.

بعد تطوّر الاحداث في كلية هندسة القاهرة قررت اني هاحكي كل حاجة بالتفاصيل لتوضيح الامر تماما. منذ بداية العام الدراسي و دايما كان بيكون فيه مظاهرات صغيرة عددها 100تقريبا (لم اتقن العد) داخل الجامعة تهتف ضد حكم العسكر و مؤيدة لرابعة. ماكنش بيكون فيه اي مشاكل و لا اشتباكات داخل هندسة مع العلم ان كان فيه ايام بيكون فيه برّة عند مسلّة جامعة القاهرة اشتباكات بس كانت مش بتدوم طويلا. يوم الخميس 28 نوفمبر, كان فيه وقفة كبيرة برّة عند جامعة القاهرة و كان الطلبة اللي عاملين مسيرة جوة هندسة واقفيت عند الباب الرئيسي لكلية هندسة الذي اُغلق امامهم لمنعهم من الخروج عند المسيرة الاكبر و ربما اغلقه الامن الجامعي لسلامة الطلاب لشدة الاشتباكات في الخارج. الطلبة ظلّوا يريدون فتح الباب و الخروج مع العلم ان الباب الخلفي عند مبني اعدادي كان ايضا مغلقا لموقعه جانب كمين الداخلية و دبابات الجيش المحيطة بالجامعة. تك القاء اول قنبلة غاز داخل كلية هندسة و اصدمت بمدني الادارة الموجود امام الباب الرئيسي تماما و تم القاء القنبلة الثانية و تطايرت بعيدا تماما عن مكان الطلبة المتجمعين عند الباب الرئيسي لتستقر امام

I don't know.

Some things happen without a sign or a miracle. I lost all my wars and battles, and I don't know why. I feel sad, all the time, like there is nothing that ever make me smile again although I try. I fail, and I don't know why. I am always down, being grabbed deeper below by some abstract force and I don't fight myself. I don't know how. I have lost interests in all what I have always loved and I can't go back. I can't get you, nor my old self back. I won't try because I know my inner voice will say 'I don't know'. I don't know what I am writing now or what's the point, but if you are asking; here's my answer: I don't know.  I take long walks into the dark side. I like it in a way that I have never known. I am messy, emotionally numb and confused. Don't ask, we both know that I don't know.  I watch people and sank into their moves and unspoken words. I know them all, but when it comes to me saying what I saw out loud, I just