Skip to main content

January 27, 2013 (Sexual Harassment incident in Tahrir)

Today, I went to Tahrir square, Kornish El Nil clashes to be particular. It was dark and scary at the start till I started hearing everyone chanting as it gave me peace. 

The very front lines usually feel safer than the spots at the back The very front lines are dangerous because you are vis a vis with the police and their gunshots, but you are surrounded with those who are really fighting for freedom, with nothing to lose.

Our chants got higher "We will show them anger, we will teach them morals" along with "Ya Rab" since it was raining and it was a good time for saying some Dua'aa.
As people reunited, the numbers increased and our voices got lounder.

*Tear gases followed by massive gunshots*

Everyone was running to the back again so they escape the gases' smells and of course the bullets. You are forced to get pushed because some people run fast without even looking back, while some run while their eyes being shut due to the tear gases effects.

I noticed a guy who was pushing me with his arms on my backpack. I decided to watch him closely by running behind him. I saw him trying to grab a woman's breast in the middle of the crowd. I was sure of what I was seeing. She pushed him away and continued to escape. I decided to target him and I kept running after him without seeing his face since it was so dark. I reached for him, grabbed him from his shirt's lace while cussing him. I called him "ya 7aywan" so loudly that people nearby heard me well. I grabbed his shirt's lace harder and he was denying whatever I was saying. People kept telling me to leave him alone as he was claiming that he didn't do anything, he even swore to me. I looked deep in his eyes, sharply. He tried to avoid my eye contact but I saw fear in his eyes. He was shivering, literally. It made me sure he's the harasser and it made me insist in beating him some more. I didn't listen to peoples' advice of leaving him alone, so I kept shouting at him while grabbing him with me to somewhere far from the clashes so I can find out what I would to him.

Another group of young men saw me cussing him. When I told them he's a harasser, they started beating him and kicking him out of the place. In this moment, I felt victory. I knew I have done the right thing although I could have acted shy and ignored it like that woman who was harassed by this beast. I tried looking for the woman to tell her that I gave her her rights and didn't let him escape but I couldn't find her of course.

I didn't think twice because all I know that a revolution is not only against a regime, it's the road to a new start. To start anew, you have to make sure you restart everything; the regime, the people and even yourself. I changed myself by not remaining silent. I changed the wrong by punishing this man and hopefully we will bring down the regime.

Long live the revolution.
27/1/2013





Arabic translation to the harassment incident.


انهاردة نزلت ميدان التحرير, اشتباكات كورنيش النيل بالاخص. الظلام كان حالك و الجو كان مرعب في الاول و بالذات اني كنت لوحدي, بس لما الهتاف بدا يعلي اطمنت و حسيت بالامان الداخلي لبرهة و اتشجعت اني ماروّحش او امشي.

كنت واقفة عند الصفوف الامامية. دايما الصفوف الامامية بتكون امنه اكتر من التجمع الخلفي بعيدا عن الاشتبكات. طبعا في الصف الاول بتبقي واقفة في وش الخطر و الغاز و الخرطوش, بس كل اللي حواليا كانوا ناس مؤمنة بالحرية بجد, عندهم استعداد يموتوا عشانها و مافضلهمش اي حاجة يخسروها غير حياتهم عشان يبقوا احرار
هتافنا بدا يعلي و كنا بنقول "هنعلمه الادب. هنوريهم الغضب" و "يا رب!!" عشان السما كانت بتمطر و مستحب الدعاء وقت نزول المطر. اتجامعنا و صوتنا يدا يعلي و الناس بدات تحشد و تزيد

*قنابل مسيلة و خرطوش كتير بدون توقف*

كلنا كنا بنجري بسرعة للخلف عشان نبعد عن ريحة القنابل المسيلة و طبعا الخرطوش. دايما وقت الجري كل الناس بتزق بعضها و فيه ناس مُعرّضة انها تقع و تتدهِس. و فيه ناس بتجري و هي مغمضة عينها عشان بيكون الغاز بدا يأثر عليهم

وانا بجري, حسيت بشخص ورايا بيزقني جامد بدراعه علي شنطة الظهر اللي كنت لابساها. قررت اني هراقبه و كنا بعدنا عن الغاز و مافيش ضرر لو بطلّت الجري. بدأت اجري وراه و شفته وهو بيحاول يتحرش بواحدة و يلمس صدرها, هي بعدته و جريت عشان كانت غالبا خايفة من الخرطوش و الغاز. قررت الاحقه لحد لما مسكته و شديته من التيشرت وانا بزعق في وشه بصوت عالي. عليت صوتي اكتر و انا بقوله "يا حيواااان" والناس طبعا سمعت و جات تشوف اللي بيحصل. اعد ينكر اي حاجة و يحلف انه معملش حاجة بس لما بصيت في عينه وشفت الرعب اتاكدت و اصريت اني مش هاسيبه غير لما اشوفله صُرفة! الناس كانت بتقولي "معلش احنا اسفين سيبه و عدّيها" بس انا طبعا رفضت. فضلت شداه معايا بعيدا عن الصفوف الامامية و الاشتباكات لحد لما وصلنا عند اول الكورنيش عند كوبري قصر النيل عشان اقرر انا هتصرف ازاي بما اني اكيد كنت مش هضربه لوحدي 
لاقيت مجموعة شباب بيقربوا و سألوني ايه للي حصل, زعقت في الحيوان و قلتلهم ده بيتحرش بالسيدات في نص الضرب! بداوا يجرجروه و يضربوه و هو طبعا خايف و مش عارف يهرب مني ولا منهم! بداوا و بعدها بدأوا يطردوه من المكان. في اللحظة ديه حسيت باانتصار والفرحة لاني كان ممكن اتكسف و اعمل نفسي ماشوفتيش حاجة زي البنت اللي هوا اتحرش بيها. حاولت الاقي البت ديه عشان اطمنها و اقولها انهم جابولها حقها بس طبعا معرفتش اوصلها ولا الاقيها

انا مافكرتش مرتين قبل لما امسك الحيوان ده عشان انا مؤمنة ان الثوارات مش ضد نظام ظالم و قامع فقط, بل الثورة طريق لبداية جديدة..لازم نتاكد اننا بنغير كل حاجة: النظام. نفسنا, و اللي حاولينا. غيرت في نفسي اني مافضلتش ساكتة علي الجريمة اللي شوفتها, و غيرت الغلط اللي حواليا بمعاقبة المتحرش و ان شاء الله نغير النظام القامع بتاع مرسي.

الثورة مستمرة
ريم خورشيد 
27/1/2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Types of Students you meet at CUFE.

Disclaimer: This post is for fun purpose, so you guys don't take it seriously. It is all about generalizing and no one is particularly targeted. 1- AIESEC Fanatics: They think they are the coolest people taking part in the most cool extracurricular activity. They MUST, I repeat, they must be wearing those lousy aiesec bracelets. They try too hard to look like a badass group specially when it comes to standing at their booth. 2- The Nerd-Extremist There are plenty of this type. Almost everyone in CUFE (Except me ofc). Students from this type would never let their GPA drop less than 4.0 or 3.9. Getting 3.89999999999999 might lead them to some suicidal acts or self-harm. They never skip a class and never leave a lost mark in a quiz unquestioned. 3-The top student-wanna-be These usually have a low IQ, but they are so pretentious. They stick to the nerds' asses and try too hard to befriend them. They never skip lectures,bytlaza2o fel drs w el TAs without mercy,

احداث كلية هندسة من يوم 28 نوفمبر حتي 10 ديسمبر.

بعد تطوّر الاحداث في كلية هندسة القاهرة قررت اني هاحكي كل حاجة بالتفاصيل لتوضيح الامر تماما. منذ بداية العام الدراسي و دايما كان بيكون فيه مظاهرات صغيرة عددها 100تقريبا (لم اتقن العد) داخل الجامعة تهتف ضد حكم العسكر و مؤيدة لرابعة. ماكنش بيكون فيه اي مشاكل و لا اشتباكات داخل هندسة مع العلم ان كان فيه ايام بيكون فيه برّة عند مسلّة جامعة القاهرة اشتباكات بس كانت مش بتدوم طويلا. يوم الخميس 28 نوفمبر, كان فيه وقفة كبيرة برّة عند جامعة القاهرة و كان الطلبة اللي عاملين مسيرة جوة هندسة واقفيت عند الباب الرئيسي لكلية هندسة الذي اُغلق امامهم لمنعهم من الخروج عند المسيرة الاكبر و ربما اغلقه الامن الجامعي لسلامة الطلاب لشدة الاشتباكات في الخارج. الطلبة ظلّوا يريدون فتح الباب و الخروج مع العلم ان الباب الخلفي عند مبني اعدادي كان ايضا مغلقا لموقعه جانب كمين الداخلية و دبابات الجيش المحيطة بالجامعة. تك القاء اول قنبلة غاز داخل كلية هندسة و اصدمت بمدني الادارة الموجود امام الباب الرئيسي تماما و تم القاء القنبلة الثانية و تطايرت بعيدا تماما عن مكان الطلبة المتجمعين عند الباب الرئيسي لتستقر امام

I don't know.

Some things happen without a sign or a miracle. I lost all my wars and battles, and I don't know why. I feel sad, all the time, like there is nothing that ever make me smile again although I try. I fail, and I don't know why. I am always down, being grabbed deeper below by some abstract force and I don't fight myself. I don't know how. I have lost interests in all what I have always loved and I can't go back. I can't get you, nor my old self back. I won't try because I know my inner voice will say 'I don't know'. I don't know what I am writing now or what's the point, but if you are asking; here's my answer: I don't know.  I take long walks into the dark side. I like it in a way that I have never known. I am messy, emotionally numb and confused. Don't ask, we both know that I don't know.  I watch people and sank into their moves and unspoken words. I know them all, but when it comes to me saying what I saw out loud, I just